Lighten the heavy load of house chores with these simple yet useful tips from Afia R Fitriati.
The last of the guests have left, the final cookie crumb has been devoured and it’s time for us to roll up our sleeves and get our surroundings back up to speed. As much as we may hate cleaning up our homes, it is a necessary act to do – especially after grand festivities such as Eid. Besides, a clean home can infuse a new energy that will be very useful in our first days back at school or work. Follow these simple tips to ease the monumental task of house cleaning:
- Start by opening up all of your windows and doors to let in some fresh air and natural light. You’ll be surprised at how the mere act of this will lighten your spirit.
- Whistle while you work, or better yet, play some music. But don’t turn on the TV because you’ll get distracted and take twice as much time to finish your chores.
- While you’re at it, perhaps it’s time to de-clutter your dwelling. Knick-knacks such as figurines, mementos and soft toys tend to accumulate dust quickly. Maybe it’s time to store them or give some of them to others.
- To clean effectively, begin dusting from the top, and work your way down to the bottom surfaces. In the same manner, start sweeping or vacuuming from the most-used areas of the house.
- Give some time for your cleaners to do their work in penetrating dirt and grime. Spray or apply the cleaning liquids a few minutes before you start scrubbing and wiping. This way, you won’t waste your energy scrubbing.
- Double- or triple-line the garbage bin. When the bin is full and you take out the trash, you’ll already have a new bag in place.
- You may feel the urge to clean the whole house all at once. But don’t be too ambitious. The satisfaction of having one room cleaned at a time will encourage you to clean more tomorrow or next week. But the disappointment of getting so little accomplished – likely to occur if you set your goal too high – will discourage you and cause dreaded procrastination.
It’s a dirty job, but someone’s got to do it. So just think about the comfy, sparkling-clean home that you’ll have after your hard work, and go grab those cleaning supplies!