Let’s pledge to practise the sunnah in more ways than we’ve ever done. In the first of a two-parter, Shea Rasol provides tips on daily sunnah for mornings.
- As soon as one awakens, rub both palms on the face and eyes so that the effects of sleep are removed. (Tirmidhi)
- Recite du’a: “Alhamdu lillaahil-ladhee ‘ahyaanaa ba’da maa ‘amaatanaa wa’ ilayhin-nushoor”, which means “praise is to Allah Who gives us life after He has caused us to die and to Him is the return.” (Bukhari)
- Recite: “In the Name of Allah. O Allah, I seek protection in You from the male and female unclean spirits.” (Bukhari 1/45, Muslim 1/283). Enter the bathroom with your left foot first.
- Whilst going to the toilet Rasulullah (pbuh) always covered his head and wore shoes. (Ibn Saad)
- About brushing our teeth, Aishah narrates from Rasulallah (pbuh):“Two raka’ats of salat after using the miswaak is more beloved unto me than seventy raka’ats without miswaak.” (As Sunanul Kubraa)
- Do not show one’s back or face towards the Ka’aba whilst relieving oneself. (Tirmidhi)
- Take a shower with a niyaah (intention): “I am performing ghusl so as to become paak (clean).” Without niyaah, you won’t gain sunnah reward even though the shower is completed.
- Perform wudhu and recite: “I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah alone, Who has no partner; and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and His Messenger.” (Muslim 1/209)
- Recite upon exiting the bathroom: “Oh Allah I seek Your forgiveness. All praises are due to Allah who has taken away from me discomfort and granted me relief.” (Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah and Tirmidhi)
- Step out of the toilet with your right foot first.
- Recite: “Praise is to Allah Who has clothed me with this (garment) and provided it for me, though I was powerless myself and incapable” (Al-Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, Tirmidhi) while getting dressed.
- Begin dressing by inserting your right hand or right leg first into your top or trousers.
- Say “Bismillahi” while undressing. Start with your left hand and left leg when removing your clothing.
- Perform the subuh (fajr) prayer.
- Have a light breakfast and include dates, honey or water to the set if you wish to follow sunnah.
- Recite: “Allahumma barik lana fima razaqtana waqina athaban-nar. Bismillah”, which means “O Allah! Bless (the food) You provided us and save us from the punishment of hellfire. In the name of Allah.”
- Wash your hands and eat with your right hand.
- After finishing the meal, recite: “Alhamdu lillah il-lathi at’amana wasaqana waja ‘alana Muslimin” which means “praise be to Allah Who has fed us and given us drink, and made us Muslims.”
Later today, proceed to Your Afternoon and Evening Sunnah Routine